Jack-O’Latern Fungus

September 16, 2011

Jack-O'Latern Fungus

The jack-o’latern fungus (Omphalotus illudens) gets its name from its brilliant orange color and its ability to glow in the dark.

This mushroom is poisonous. This mushroom is not edible. Moreover, amateur mushroomers may mistake this mushroom for the coveted chanterelle.

However, its easy to discern chanterelles from this mushroom; the underside of a chanterelle is covered by ridges while jack-o’laterns have gills. When comparing the two, it’s impossible to confuse one for the other.

Leave a Comment

Chanterelles, Two
chanterelles-2

All Posts

hedgehog mushroom
Hedgehog Mushroom
Chanterelles, Two
chanterelles-2

More Mushroom

hedgehog mushroom
Hedgehog Mushroom
Spotted Cort
Spotted Cort

More Not Food

Follow

Get every new post on this blog delivered to your Inbox.

Join other followers: